Not my own recipe but one of the best Brunch menus there is
Total time: 1hr to 2hr
Cooking time: 30 + 10 minutes
Note It’s best to cook the potatoes a day before you wish to sauté them so that they will stay in nice cubes instead of breaking down into mashed potatoes.
2 to 2.5 kg (4-5 lb.) Potatoes
250 ml (1 cup) Bacon bits (lardons) (bacon cut into small pieces)
250 ml (1 cup) yellow Onion, thinly sliced
125 ml (1/2 cup) vegetable oil
Salt and pepper
- Boil the potatoes in their skins until tender but still firm – do not overcook;
- Let cool; peel and cut into cubes;
- In a frying pan gently sauté the bacon pieces until they begin to brown; remove with a slotted spoon and set aside;
- Sauté the onions gently in the bacon fat until translucent; remove with a slotted spoon and set aside;
- Add the vegetable oil to the remaining bacon fat; heat over moderate heat;
- Add the potatoes and fry until golden brown and slightly crispy;
- Add the onions and bacon; season with salt and pepper; mix well and heat everything through.